They just consider the size of their family and choose a water heater that can keep up. In most cases, there is nothing more to do, either. Nevertheless, a few accessories can improve how effectively and how long a water heater works.
A water heater stand is one of those accessories. You might first ignore this product from the ‘essential’ list, but a water heater stand can improve the heater’s safety, regulatory compliance, and longevity. It doesn’t mean that you can choose any table as a water heater stand.
There are a few reasons why.
First, the stand should be able to accommodate your water heater adequately. It means there should not be any protruding ends or insufficient parts. Second, the stand should be sturdy enough to keep the water heater from falling.
You may also want to check the amount of space you want to use for the water heater and stand combined. On that note, if you live in a small house, a water heater stand may help you save space.
For this, you have to choose a heater stand that offers free space under the major platform.
Design, build quality, dimensions, weight capacity, and material are some of the factors you should consider while choosing a water heater stand. We understand there is a vast collection of products in the market, and we wanted to make things easier.
This guide will help you find the best water heater stand for any heater out there. You just have to make sure that you cross-check the specifications with your water heater’s specifications before making the final choice.
We have made our picks based on a few more factors, such as brand value and after-sales support.
Best Overall: Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit
- Dimensions: 21” x 21” x 18”
- Material: Galvanized steel
- Maximum Capacity: 50 Gallons
- Maximum Diameter: Up to 22”
- Product weight: 7.15lbs
- Color: Silver
The Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit is hands down the best water heater stand you can get today. Instead of a simple stand, this product brings a whole package that can keep most residential water heater systems intact.
- Minimal Assembly – Because the system requires minimal effort for assembly, you won’t have trouble setting up the water heater with it. Even if you have no experience with plumbing and interiors, you can keep this stand almost anywhere you want.
- Sturdy Construction – Compared to the typical water heater stands you find in the market, the Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit offers advanced build quality. Camco has used 18-gauge galvanized steel to build the entire thing. It gives the stand an edge when it comes to longevity and power.
- Reasonable Pricing – Despite the use of premium material, this water heater stand comes with a reasonable price tag. It means you can buy this water heater stand for a variety of needs. Even if you need a couple of them to keep a gas boiler or something else, you can afford them easily.
- Standard Capacity – Although it has a minimum weight of just 7.15lbs, this water heater stand can hold water heaters with up to 50 gallons of capacity. As far as residential water heaters are concerned, this is ideal. As for the dimensions, the water heater may have a maximum diameter of 22” as well.
- Versatile – The Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit is very versatile in terms of design. You can use the same stand for various products like a mini-fridge, gas boilers, and even a portable air conditioner. Again, the pricing is a decision-maker factor here.
- Even though installation is easier, it takes a lot of manual labor. In particular, tightening the Phillips head screws is not an effortless process. If you are new to this kind of work, you may have to spend a couple of minutes here.
- While the 50-gallon capacity is ideal for most people, the Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit isn’t for every household out there. If you decide to upgrade to a higher-capacity water heater in the future, you will have to get another stand.
- You have to keep the product safe from kids since the product has sharp edges. As we said, the top-notch construction quality makes the heater stand very sturdy.
There aren’t any extra features in this water heater stand package.
If you are looking for a capable water heater for residential purposes, the Camco Gas Water Heater Stand Kit is an excellent choice. Within a lightweight package, you get impressive features like a full capacity of 50 gallons and galvanized steel construction.
From a durability standpoint, this product can easily last for years.
Runner Up: Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand
- Dimensions: 24” x 24” x 16”
- Material: Galvanized steel
- Maximum capacity: 100 Gallons
- Maximum diameter: Up to 22”
- Product weight: 26.5lbs
If you need a stand for a higher-capacity water heater, you should consider what Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand has to offer.
By combining high-quality construction and some extra features, Holdrite has built a heater stand that everyone would love.
- Extra Capacity – Unlike our first pick, the Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand comes with an enhanced capacity of up to 100 gallons. You can place anything under 1200lbs on this platform in terms of weight. It means you won’t have any trouble fitting heavy-duty heating equipment on the stand.
- Durable Construction – The core platform of the product has been made using galvanized steel, which complies with the standards put forward by UPC, IAPMO, and IPC. The company also performs a couple of tests to ensure that the stand can keep supporting your water heater for more than a few years.
- Straightforward Installation – Setting up the Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand involves a few more steps than the process we saw with the first pick. However, the company provides sufficient documentation to assist you throughout the installation task.
- Extra Protection – Compared to the random stands you can find in the current market, the water heater stand from Holdrite offers additional security. Ensuring that the weight distribution is equal, the system can reduce the impact on individual legs, helping the product to last longer.
- Premium Service – Holdrite has been one of the industry pioneers, and you can receive one of the best after-sales service systems from it. We are talking about the extended warranty options and the customer support channels that can assist you during the installation process.
- You have to spend a larger amount to get your hands on the Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand system. If you are on a tight budget, this could be a problem. Similarly, if you want to get more than one stand, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Compared to our first pick, this water heater stand is considerably heavy. We are talking about a total weight of 26.5lbs. Therefore, this stand won’t be the ideal choice if you want to move it around very often.
- Some users have noted that the screws included with the package aren’t strong enough. Depending on the environment where you want to place the water heater and the heating module, you might have to get some extra fitting material.
In addition to the necessary elements to install the water heater stand, Holdrite has included two safety clips with the package.
You should use these clips when you want to keep an extra-large water heater on it. You can attach these clips to the bottom to enable equal sharing of force.
In the end, if you are willing to shell out a few extra dollars, the Holdrite QuickStand Water Heater Stand is an excellent choice for most residential spaces and entry-level commercial spaces.
Because the stand has an optimal capacity of up to 1200lbs, you can use this product for versatile needs. At the same time, its galvanized-steel construction offers top-notch durability.
Alternative 1: Jones Stephens Corporation J36200 Water Heater Stand
- Dimensions: 18” x 18” x 17”
- Material: Galvanized steel
- Maximum capacity: 2,000lbs
- Maximum diameter: Up to 17”
- Product weight: 13.45lbs
- Color: Aluminum
You should check out the Jones Stephens Corporation J36200 Water Heater Stand if you need a small-sized water heater stand that can handle massive products.
When you have a super heavy-duty water heater or a gigantic refrigerator, you can consider this product.
- Like the other products we have listed, the Jones Stephens Corporation J36200 Water Heater Stand uses a galvanized-steel construction for its entire body. It’s one of the reasons why the product can house massive products.
- When it comes to handling static weight, the product has a rating approval at 2000lbs, which is just bonkers. These higher numbers mean that you can use the stand to keep residential and enterprise-level products at a better height.
- Thanks to its snap-in galvanized legs, installing the water heater stand wouldn’t take more than a few minutes. As we expected, the package contains all the screws and bolts you would need during the assembly process.
- Although the product offers an off-the-charts storage capacity, it has a handy weight of 13.45lbs. It is so great because you won’t have to hire anyone else when you want to re-reassemble and move the product elsewhere.
- Although the heater stand can handle more weight, the surface area is lower than expected. 18” may not be the ideal size for many people, especially if they have purchased a massive water heater. In that case, people may have to get two product units.
- While Jones Stephens Corporation is a trusted company, it doesn’t have much of an online presence at this point. More importantly, this particular model launched almost two decades ago. Because of these factors, getting after-sales support is a tiresome affair.
There are no extra features in the Jones Stephens Corporation J36200 Water Heater Stand package.
If you can live with an older water heater stand that gets the job done, we believe you can go with the Jones Stephens Corporation J36200 Water Heater Stand.
Although you have to make a few compromises in terms of extra features and advantages, this stand can handle massive equipment with zero hassle. In the end, you can’t go wrong with this investment.
Alternative 2: PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand
- Dimensions: 24” x 20” x 24”
- Material: Aluminum
- Maximum capacity: 400lbs
- Maximum diameter: Up to 18”
- Product weight: 17lbs
- Color: Aluminum
Unlike the water heater stands we have listed above, the PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand is not optimized for water heaters.
Instead, you are looking at a general-purpose equipment stand that can handle a massive amount of weight. And a water heater is one of the many things you can put on the stand.
- The PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand is an all-purpose stand, meaning that the possibilities are just endless. You can use the stand to keep your water heater secure without compromising space from your residential/commercial area.
- As opposed to the other products, this stand offers enhanced storage space. Instead of one, you get two shelves that can together hold up to 400lbs of weight. Considering the compact size of the stand, this is a great capacity.
- The manufacturer has employed a ‘corner slip’ assembly system that doesn’t take more than a few minutes from your side. Because the package contains all the essential accessories, you can have a full-sized stand without professional help.
- The stand system has been built using aluminum, and the construction is all-USA. Therefore, you do not have to worry about everyday issues like rust or tear/wear. The company, PVIFS, provides a commendable line of support options.
- Even though the PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand has an ergonomic design, it has a lower surface area. You should look at the size of your water heater module before you buy this stand since it has only 24” in length.
- Compared to other products, this general-purpose equipment stand is expensive as well. Sure, the overall build is impressive for the most part, but you practically have to spend double of what you’d pay on a typical stand.
The PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand comes with an additional shelf at the bottom part.
You can use this extra space to store some necessary accessories or other equipment. If you live in a tight area, this may be a great addition.
If you need a heater stand that you can use for other purposes, the PVIFS A202424-2 Equipment Stand must be a great choice, indeed.
Provided that you are ready to spend more, this product offers extra storage space and premium build quality. You would also love the all-Aluminum construction and after-sales offerings from the company.
Alternative 3: Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform
- Dimensions: 21.25” x 21.25”
- Material: Aluminum
- Maximum capacity: 20 gallons
- Maximum diameter: Up to 22”
- Product weight: 20lbs
- Color: Aluminum
If you don’t want the water heater stand to take up space on the floor, the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform is a great alternative.
As you can guess, this is a wall-mounted water heater platform that you can set up very quickly.
- As we said, the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform is a wall-mounted stand. It can give you sufficient protection for your water heater while consuming little space on the floor. It’s the best of convenience and space-savings.
- The package comes with all the rods, support brackets, and mounts that make it easy for anyone to attach the heater stand to the wall. With the right documentation and tutorial, you can finish this job without external help.
- Even when the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform helps you save a lot of space on the floor, it can easily accommodate a 20-gallon water heater. If you want to keep something else on the platform, it can stand up to 375lbs of the load.
- It’s worth noting that the product can adapt to concrete walls and framed walls. So, you can get this wall-mounted water heater platform without overthinking. Like the other products from Holdrite, this one is also made using galvanized steel.
- The company has included a few extra layers for additional protection from seismic incidents. These layers will provide a supportive platform for the heater — or anything else you may put on top of the platform.
- Probably the only limitation with the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform is that you cannot put more load. 20 gallons may be a suitable capacity for most households, but we can’t say the same for every US household, for instance.
A couple of features make the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform a good deal.
First of all, the system comes pre-assembled, and everything is kept watertight. There is no worry of leakage of any kind. However, you can always use the 1-inch PVC fitting system for extra safety. This will take care of the flow.
The seismic restraints on the water heater platform also do a commendable job. If you live in an area with a related risk, the product offers better confidence. We also noted that the surface area of the product is well-designed and optimized for maximum storage space.
You should note that the Holdrite 40-SWHP-W QuickStand Water Heater Platform is expensive.
You have to spend a good amount to get the premium features we mentioned above. If you can do that, the deal doesn’t get any better. After all, it comes from a trusted brand like Holdrite, and there is a minimum guarantee that you can count on.
Water Heater Stand FAQ
Should a water heater be on a stand?
A water heater doesn’t necessarily need to be on a stand, but there are a couple of reasons why it should be so.
Placing a water heater on a stand will protect the equipment from various issues, including but not limited to corrosion and leakage. Water heater stands have been designed to handle a high amount of weight on top of these.
Therefore, you should consider getting a stand when you get a water heater. If you pick a suitable water heater stand, you can protect the water heater from seismic incidents like earthquakes.
Can a water heater be installed directly on the floor?
Most water heaters have a design that allows a direct installation on the floor. However, experts say that this isn’t the ideal solution. In this method, a water heater is exposed to many risks like corrosion and wear/tear.
By placing the water heater on a stand, you can reduce these risks. The on-the-floor installation also consumes a good amount of space from the surface area of your residential space, which is not ideal for many families.
Can the water heater sit on concrete?
Provided that you have chosen a water heater that supports the on-the-floor installation, it should have no trouble sitting on concrete.
Given that electric water heaters and gas water heater stands come with proper insulation and protection, you won’t have trouble arranging them on the floor, either. You would want to get a stand for extra security of the machine.
The last thing you want is your water heater getting a lot of corrosion, right?
How much clearance do you need for a water heater?
The exact figure of clearance depends on the water heater you have bought. However, it’s always good to go higher while deciding the clearance.
Considering the air circulation aspect alone, you should maintain the minimum clearance area of 12 inches for a water heater. However, depending on the area you live in, the electrical/plumbing codes may require a higher clearance area of 30 inches.
You may want to check the official documentation or talk with an expert before finalizing these figures.
We had designed this coverage in a way that you can find a suitable water heater stand or platform for your specific needs. During the product selection, we had provided extra care for this too.
We have also explained what you should care about while making the final pick from these water-heater stands.
In the end, we are sure the guide will help you choose a stand that improves the longevity and health of the water heater while taking up as little space as possible.