In the past years, we have seen the rise of portable alternatives, but gas boilers have been the go-to choice most of the time. The most significant advantage of gas boilers for home heating is that it gets the job done quickly and effectively.
Once connected and set up, these boiler machines can provide an uninterrupted heat supply to the various parts of your house.
On the brighter side, the average efficiency of gas boilers has increased so much in the past decade. We can now find whole-home gas boilers as effective as 98.5%.
While these facts remain on the paper, we can’t say that the random gas boiler you find in a nearby store is the most effective option.
Instead, you have to find the right gas boiler system after going through aspects such as power, capacity, durability, installation, and after-sales customer support.
In case you didn’t know, you can classify gas boilers based on various criteria. For instance, you can choose between condensing and non-condensing boilers based on the efficiency you need.
Similarly, you must check whether you have a suitable heat radiation system set up at home. If you have made up your mind in these matters, you can check our coverage of the best gas boilers for home heating.
Best Overall: Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG
- Dimensions: 23” x 31.5” x 12”
- Weight: 64lbs
- Fuel Type: Natural Gas
- Max GPM: 2.6
Our first pick is a natural gas boiler that you can use for all the hot water supply needs in your house.
Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG combines top-notch performance and elegant construction. It’s also one of the most popular gas boilers you can get for home heating.
You should look at the benefits of this product if you need the best water heating experience for longer terms.
- The Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG is a complete system for your hot water needs. Therefore, even if you invest a significant amount on the device, you can save the money you’d otherwise spend on a water heater.
- Compared to the random gas boilers you may find in the market, this Rinnai product is very flexible. Depending on the plumbing system and standards on the use, you can choose between various venting options, including a single-pipe exhaust and two-pipe systems.
- As you can expect from a device at this cost, the water boiler provides you top-class performance in any situation. The best part? The Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG produces little noise that you’d love the quiet operation.
- Unlike the traditional boilers out there, the Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG doesn’t require an on-the-floor installation. The compact design allows you to install the system on a concrete wall without security concerns. So, we are talking about substantial space savings.
- You can choose either natural gas or propane to run the boiler conveniently. The system can be configured to process both without manual intervention from the owner.
- Safety controls in the Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG package are just incredible from any point of view. You don’t need enough experience to get started with the machine. Two, there are even outdoor reset buttons for exceptional safety.
- The maker has used top-of-the-line hardware to provide premium-quality construction and versatile installation options. It has a profound impact on the pricing, even when we consider that this is a combo product.
- We would have loved to see some convenience-oriented features in this package. As of now, Rinnai keeps this water boiler system as something standalone. We are talking about further options for an advanced remote control panel.
The Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG doesn’t offer any extra features. However, we should appreciate the versatile design of the product, thereby becoming a suitable choice for residential and commercial purposes.
The company offers dedicated warranty options for both categories as well.
Despite a few shortcomings, the Rinnai Boiler Max HTG Combi NG is the best overall gas boiler you can find in the current market. Through this single purchase, you can cater to the variety of hot water needs in your household, which is a bold promise.
Similarly, versatile design elements make it an excellent choice for entry-level commercial spaces. Therefore, if you can spend a considerable amount, you should pick this boiler.
Runner Up: Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater
- Dimensions: 18.5” x 9.75” x 27.5”
- Weight: 79lbs
- Fuel Type: Natural Gas
If you need a natural gas water heater that provides you with a consistent hot water supply for the radiation system, this product from Rheem is an excellent choice.
This wallet-friendly product does not have a hefty price tag, per se, but it gets the job done. Although the product has been designed to be used as a typical water heater and water boiler, some features make the product a superb companion for the heat radiation system.
Also, it’s using natural gas, which offers multiple advantages.
- This natural gas water heater uses a condensing heat exchanger using stainless steel. It means you don’t have to worry about durability while enjoying the benefits of 98% energy efficiency in total.
- Rheem has also included some advanced features that improve its energy efficiency. By adjusting the controls intelligently, a built-in circuit board can optimize the product’s energy consumption at any given point. In the long term, this gives you noticeable savings.
- The machine comes with a minimum flow rate of .26GPM and a minimum activation flow rate of .40 GPM. In real life, these figures mean that you can enjoy hot water supply even during situations with lower demand.
- Being the tankless system that it is, the Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater can work with other products from the same manufacturer. There are even options to combine multiple units and work as a singular system with additional performance.
- The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater comes with EcoNet connectivity. It means you can monitor and control the water boiler’s performance using your Android or iOS smartphone over Wi-Fi.
- In addition to using natural gas, the manufacturer has opted for a low-emission burner. It means you can keep using the burner without worrying about the environmental impact. As mentioned, its optimized circuitry can provide noticeable water savings as well.
- Rheem offers a whopping 12-year limited warranty for the product, a solace for many. There are a few restrictions, but you don’t have to worry about the significant issues for a decade.
- The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater does not come cheap. You have to spend a considerable amount of money to get this gas-based water boiler. You may have to pay even further if you want all the additional features and connectivity options.
- Although the company claims the installation process is easy, user reviews would disagree with that claim. If you don’t have prior experience with plumbing, installing this water boiler may require quite a lot of hours.
- You may have to spend further if you want to use the intelligent-control features on this product.
EcoNet is probably the best extra feature in the Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Water Heater package.
Once you have set up EcoNet through your Android/iOS device, you can get notifications regarding maintenance, risks, and other vital data from the machine. It’s a time-saver.
Despite costing a lot, the Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Natural Gas Water Heater is an excellent choice for modern households.
Because it employs high-quality construction and intelligent control, this gas boiler can provide a constant supply of hot water throughout your household. You just have to be ready to spend some time installing the boiler, as well.
Alternative 1: Rinnai M060SN Natural Gas Boiler
- Dimensions: 23” x 31.5” x 12”
- Weight: 82.3lbs
- Fuel Type: Natural Gas
The Rinnai M060SN Natural Gas Boiler is an excellent alternative if you are looking for top-notch performance as well as a compact design.
This machine has been equipped to provide up to 60,000BTU of heat, which is just impressive.
Unlike the other Rinnai products we have listed, this variant will provide you heat only, meaning you may need to get a separate water heater module.
- Despite being a boiler for residential spaces, the Rinnai M060SN Natural Gas Boiler is compact and a lot easier to install. You don’t have to spend much on the installation process, which is a massive relief for many customers.
- The machine can provide up to 60,000BTUs of heat, which is enough for an average household. Given that you will be getting a dedicated water heater for hot water supply, this kind of power can keep up with even your extreme demands.
- The system uses a stainless steel primary boiler heat exchanger, which offers best-in-class power on a given day. The company has also used a DHW integrated with copper-nickel to increase the system’s durability by a long shot.
- Even though you can save a few hundred dollars when you choose this alternative instead of the top pick, the system retains some useful features. For instance, it comes with an integrated modulating pump and an outdoor reset sensor, both of which add functionality and convenience.
- Compared to most of the gas boilers you can find, the Rinnai M060SN Natural Gas Boiler is especially good at environmentally-friendly design. In addition to working on natural gas, the circuitry is designed to keep the carbon footprint at minimum levels.
- It should be noted that this is a heat-only water boiler. It means the system doesn’t provide you hot water for domestic purposes. Therefore, you should see if your budget allows you to spend such an extensive amount on an independent system and for another water heater.
There aren’t any noteworthy extra features in this gas boiler system.
In the end, the Rinnai M060SN Natural Gas Boiler doesn’t make many compromises compared to the amount of money you save.
That is, even at a lower cost, you can get a premium gas boiler for your residential heat system. However, this is ultimately a heat-only system, and you will have to spend more on an exclusive water heater for a hot water supply.
Alternative 2: Noritz NRCB199DV-LP Indoor Direct Combination Boiler
- Dimensions: 12.8” x 18.5” x 27”
- Weight: 95lbs
- Fuel Type: Propane
- Power: 120,000BTU
If you need an even more powerful alternative that can cater to heating and domestic hot water purposes, you should consider the Noritz NRCB199DV-LP Indoor Direct Combination Boiler.
This indoor boiler has been packed with some super-powerful hardware that offers up to 120,000BTU heat. It should be enough to take care of both the hot water and heating needs.
- Because the product is a combination boiler, you can get rid of multiple installations. Once set up, it should be enough to take care of most heating needs at your home. Thanks to the superb hardware inside, it wouldn’t struggle for power, either.
- The Noritz NRCB199DV-LP Indoor Direct Combination Boiler can ensure stable temperatures for domestic hot water. The product does this without compromising the heating features of the package.
- The system comes with a new wall bracket, simplifying the installation process. Its wall-mounted installation will help you save space from the floor as well. It’s also worth noting that Noritz makes it easy to clean and service the boiler when needed.
- The control panel on the front of the device is excellent from a usability perspective. You can make virtually any changes from the single panel, which also shows you information about how well the boiler performs.
- Finally, the combination boiler has some impressive extremes of water delivery rates. So, you can enjoy the best temperature and flow even when the demands are at extremes. We can’t say the same about all gas boilers, you know.
- The only problem with the Noritz NRCB199DV-LP Indoor Direct Combination Boiler is that it uses propane instead of natural gas. So, this product may have a noticeable impact on your house’s carbon footprint.
There aren’t any noteworthy extra features in this gas boiler system.
If power and seamless performance are your priority, the Noritz NRCB199DV-LP Indoor Direct Combination Boiler is an excellent choice, indeed. You get access to a super-powerful gas boiler and domestic water supply unit by paying a reasonable amount.
Thanks to using suitable heat exchangers and hardware, the system can meet varying demands.
Alternative 3: Rinnai i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler
- Dimensions: 10.9” x 18.5” x 26.4”
- Weight: 10.9lbs
- Fuel Source: Natural Gas
- Power: 150,000BTU
Do you want the best gas boiler to have some convenience-focused features?
Then, you should consider the Rinnai i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler. This product comes at an expensive price tag, but it can change the way you think about home heating and customization options.
First, it has a whopping power of 150,000BTU, which is bonkers.
- Thanks to the extra power it comes with, this heat-only gas boiler can provide you the most soothing heating system at home. The power also means that the machine can provide enough resources for a beginner-stage commercial space.
- Like many other products from Rinnai, the i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler provides you extra flexibility in many areas. One of them is the ability to use either Natural Gas or Propane. In both cases, the system ensures maximum energy savings, though.
- The Rinnai i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler model uses the manufacturer’s self-cleaning stainless steel. It means the system can orient itself for the best performance, reducing the number of service attempts it needs.
- The system is equipped with a classy control panel on the front, and it provides every bit of data you would want to know about the product. You can also set up the outdoor reset sensor for additional control over the boiler’s performance.
- Finally, this model offers one of the highest operational performance statistics, which can go up to 95%. Therefore, even if you plan to expand your home heating infrastructure in the future, this boiler can catch up with those requirements.
- The Rinnai i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler is a heat-only machine. It cannot provide you with a hot water supply at your home. If you already have a water heater set up, it’s not a problem. If not, you will have to spend extra somehow.
There aren’t any additional features in this gas boiler system from Rinnai.
The best part about the Rinnai i150SN Indoor Condensing Gas Boiler is that you don’t have to make any kind of compromise when shifting to the product.
We are talking about some of the best performance numbers, top-notch energy efficiency, and some convenience-oriented features. The boiler can also last longer, thanks to the self-cleaning heat exchanger.
Gas Boilers FAQ
Is a gas boiler expensive to run?
While gas boilers are not particularly expensive, they incur the average costs.
In the end, you have to take into account the initial purchase of the gas boiler and the supply of the gas. Apart from these, though, these machines aren’t expensive, per se. Besides, you can reduce the expenses of running a gas boiler by picking an energy-efficient product.
These products can use the maximum of the resources you provide, which can also reduce the carbon impact of the equipment.
How much does it cost to replace a gas boiler?
You have to consider two types of costs while replacing a gas boiler. First, you have to check the standard charges for disassembling the existing gas boiler from your plumbing system. You have to do this without harming the base infrastructure, you know.
Second, you have to consider the amount for which you will be buying the new gas boiler. Given that we are talking about replacing, you may have to get a premium alternative. While you may incur extra costs on the way, these two will have maximum impact.
Which states (U.S.) are best suited for boilers?
The answer depends on which part of the continent are the US states located. However, we cannot say that all households in cold/icy areas use gas boilers.
The Department of Energy research has shown that households choose between multiple options like a central furnace and electric furnace for home heating needs.
However, considering how gas boilers have become in the past decade, many houses are making their way to these boiler systems.
Which is better: gas or electric boiler?
Gas and electric boilers have their advantages from a convenience and energy savings perspective. However, it is worth noting that the final numbers depend on the gas boiler model as well.
As we said, today’s market gives you access to many gas and electric boilers that offer unprecedented savings and energy efficiency. If you can choose one of them, you can choose a gas or electric boiler according to your convenience and the fuel source’s availability.
What do you think about the gas boilers we have recommended for home heating?
We have included both standalone and combination boilers, and you can make the right pick depending on the household you have. It’s worth noting that most products on this list are suitable for commercial needs and the companies offer dedicated warranty channels.
However, if you are getting the gas boiler for a retail space, you might have to choose a device with better power.