Thousands of households and commercial spaces across the United States face the problem of hard water.
It may not look like a massive problem initially, especially if you have another source for drinking water. However, over time, water hardness can impact your body, home appliances, and many other things.
If the water has too many minerals dissolved in it, you may face issues regarding how detergents perform. There are quite a few ways to soften hard water, as you may know.
You can get a dedicated water softener or build a fully-fledged water purification system. However, if you are looking for the most convenient solutions, you should get a water heater for hard water.
As you know, there is no scarcity of water heaters in the market. You can choose from an impressive variety of options. There are also multiple categories, such as tank and tankless water heaters.
Some people might tell you that tankless water heaters face problems from hard water. However, you can solve this problem by choosing the right water heater system with sufficient power and features.
Of course, you may have to pay a higher price, but it is better than ruining most of your home appliances and your body/hair, right? That is what we thought, and that is also how we made a list of the best water heaters for hard water.
Some of these devices are dedicated to handling hard water. However, others are general, but they can offer you impressive performance, nonetheless. We have tried to make this list as diverse as possible in pricing, volume, and performance.
Therefore, even if you have a comparatively larger or smaller household, you can find a suitable water heater to deal with hard water. You can keep an eye on extra features too.
#1 Winner: Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater
- Power: 29kW
- Tankless: Yes
- Made in the US: No
Are you looking for a whole-house water heater to efficiently handle hard water? In that case, you got to check out the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater.
One of the most rated water heaters in the market, this German-made product combines the best performance and convenience features.
Compared to the typical water heaters you come across, this device uses a modern design. We should also appreciate the excellent set of features Stiebel Eltron has included in the package.
- This tankless water heater for hard water has an incredible power of 29kW. It is more than sufficient to provide you with an on-demand supply of hot water. The system does not take much time to convert regular supply to hot water, and you can have an unlimited supply. The extra performance adds excellent value when we look at it as a whole-house water heating appliance.
- Despite the off-the-charts performance it packs inside, the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Heater has a compact design. You would not have to overhaul your house to accommodate this water heater by any chance. Since the plan does not require any venting, you can place the machine in a place of your convenience.
- As you can see from the images, the product does not compromise the construction quality. Its solid copper heating system works hand in hand with internal temperature sensors and flow sensors to ensure that you have a reliable supply of hot water. The use of high-end electronic modules is excellent for heavy-duty networks.
- In terms of performance and compatibility, the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater is very flexible. You can set up the water heater if you have a minimum flow rate of 0.77GPM. On the other hand, the system can produce hot water within a range of 86 Degree F to 140 Degree F. Thanks to the intuitive control panel, you can select the correct temperature and everything else with ease.
- Last but not least, the tankless water heater works without generating too much noise. This silent operation system is a suitable option for modern homes. You can also rely on its digital display for accuracy, and the preset temperature buttons make things easier. Long story short, this product can quickly become a part of your modern home appliances suite.
- It is one thing that the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater does not take up much space for installation. However, you should have some pretty heavy-grade systems to keep the water heater running. For instance, you need hard-wired 240 or 208-volt electric service and three separate dedicated 40 amp breakers. Of course, all these features contribute towards safety and performance.
- The product is made in Germany and not in the United States of America. However, this should not be a reason for worrying. Stiebel has been active in the US market for a while, and you would not have trouble finding a service center. In the end, you can rely on a great line of warranty from the maker as well.
The modern buttons and digital display you can find on the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater are not just about aesthetics. The current system does not compromise accuracy when deciding your preferred temperature and features. Because this model belongs to the Pro lineup, the control panel comes with memory management functions.
We are not saying enough when we say the product is compact. We are talking about a weight of just 19lbs and dimensions of 4.63″ x 16.63″ x 14.5″. If you had trouble finding a suitable water heater for your minimal home, your search should end here. At the same time, the machine offers the best-in-class performance to heat water.
If you need a compact yet performance-packed water heater for hard water, you can consider the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus Tankless Water Heater. This model comes with modern features and an easy-to-install design. However, your home must have a pretty advanced electric system to run the water heater without interruption.
#2 Alternative: Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater
- Power: 1.4kW
- Tankless: No
- Made in the US: Yes
If you think our winner pick is overkill, you should check out the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater. As the name indicates, the product is minimal, and you can install it without any hassle.
However, unlike our winner pick, this is not a tankless water heater. On the bright side, you do not have to spend too much to get the product, either. At the same time, there is a minimum guarantee of quality since it comes from Bosch Thermotechnology.
- First and foremost, you can install the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater almost anywhere. You can choose the shelf, wall, or floor as the installation location. Regardless of the place you choose, the product can ensure maximum performance. To begin with, the water heater has a 1.4kW system inside.
- Because it is a tank-based water heater, you will have an uninterrupted water supply. This model has a tank capacity of 7 Gallons, which is not too small. Depending on the installation model, however, you may get a limited storage space of 5.1 Gallon as well. Even then, we believe the product is worth what you pay.
- Compared to our winner pick, the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater is not rigid, per se. Instead, it allows you to use the product in different use-cases. In addition to using the water heater as the central heater, you can use it to heat a single sink or a cold water sandwich. It is also great to deal with the water hardness in a specific spot.
- Even though the product does not come with fancy buttons or digital displays, the thermostat built into the front panel does an incredible job. You can control the overall temperature from the control system and stay confident. Nevertheless, BOSCH has not compromised the protection options on the inside.
- Despite all these excellent features, you do not have to spend a fortune on the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater. You have to pay only a fraction of what our winner pick will cost you. Therefore, even if you buy a couple of units for your apartment or RV, you can still substantiate the cost-effectiveness.
- We noticed that the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater is a compact water heater system for homes and RVs. However, the 7-Gallon version we mentioned weighs 29.5lbs, which is not ideal. It means you should be careful while installing and handling the water heater after that. It comes with everything you need for installation, though.
- Sure, you can install the product in different styles and unique environments. However, you cannot extend its performance beyond a point. You have to stay super-strict about making the central electric connections on the system. Therefore, some homes and small RVs may have trouble using this water heater for hard water.
- It is also worth noting that your water supply is limited to 7 Gallon at best. If you need more water than this, you will have to wait for some time. As we have seen, BOSCH has included a comparatively low-powered heating element in the package. It means waiting for a few minutes until the element heats the regular supply.
Because it is a product from BOSCH, you do not have to worry about after-sales services. The product comes with a whopping 6-year warranty on the unit and a 2-year warranty on parts.
Thanks to the hundreds of tech support and service centers across the United States, you can repair the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater if anything happens.
In the end, the Bosch Electric Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater is a tank-based water heater that you can trust. If you can wait for a while, this product can provide you with an uninterrupted water supply.
You can easily install the product in different environments as well. All the time, however, you will have to give up additional features and top-notch performance. Sometimes, we miss those extra features way too much.
#3 Alternative: ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Power: 18kW
- Tankless: Yes
- Made in the US: No
If you are looking for an affordable tankless water heater for hard water, you should consider the ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater as an alternative.
This package comes with a good amount of power but retains a compact design. You do not have to worry about a constant supply of hot water. You would not have to compromise additional features when you pick this product, either.
- As we said earlier, the ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater comes with a modern design. You can use the digital display and the control panel on the front to control the ideal temperature of the water you get from the machine.
- Thanks to the advanced technologies in use, this water heater can save up to 60% of heating costs in your home. The self-modulating technology, in particular, adjusts the power consumption based on how much water you need and how quickly you need it.
- Even though it is not as powerful as our winner pick, the ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater has an 18kW heating element inside. It means you would not have to wait to get hot water at an outlet. However, the performance may vary if you use the product in a whole-house manner.
- As you can guess from the images, you do not have to worry about the product’s weight. This tankless model has a minimal weight of 11.25lbs. Similarly, you can use ¾-inch NPT to connect the hoses to the system.
- The ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater is not a made-in-the-US product. Instead, it has its origins in China. More importantly, some customer reviews indicate that they had a problem getting warranty options in the United States.
Probably the best feature in the package is the eco-friendly management features. Thanks to the intelligent sensors and modulation system inside, the water heater can give you a consistent water supply without taking a toll on your electricity bill.
Considering that we are going all-electric for the sake of ourselves and the earth, it is a great option to have.
The ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater is not a perfect water heater. However, if you can stay a bit careful in terms of warranty, you can have a good water heating experience with the product. You do not have to spend a massive amount on the heater for hard water.
#4 Alternative: Rheem RTEX-18 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Power: 18kW
- Tankless: Yes
- Made in the US: Yes
Here is another tankless water heater you can consider for hard water. This product comes from Rheem, a trusted manufacturer of water heaters and other products.
You can count on this made-in-the-US alternative if you need a good balance between modern designs and performance. You can save some money on the way as well.
- Thanks to the 18kW heating element inside, the tankless water heater can provide you a consistent supply of water without any trouble. The machine does this without taking up so much time or space for installation, which is impressive.
- The Rheem RTEX-18 18kW 240V Electric Tankless Water Heater comes equipped with an external digital thermostat. The thermostat is very intuitive to use, and the digital screen will display the level of temperature you have chosen with best-in-class accuracy.
- Since it uses ¾-inch NPT water connections and the standard accessories, you can install the water heating system without expert help. Thanks to the wonderful community of Rheem customers, you will not have any trouble seeking help either.
- Unlike the water heaters we have covered above, this product has been designed for flexibility. You can easily replace the elements and even the heating coils when you want. Meanwhile, you can enjoy an excellent flow rate of 4.4GPM as well.
- Compared to the power it packs inside, we believe the Rheem RTEX-18 18kW 240V Electric Tankless Water Heater is a little heavy. The company could have decreased the weight according to the ultra-compact design.
This highest-rated water heater for hard water does not have many advanced features. However, you can count on the after-sales services and the customer community of Rheem products. Also, it is a company with a vast network across the United States.
We believe you should buy this water heater if you are looking for a made-in-the-US product. The only aspect where you have to compromise will be the weight. Apart from that, you get an ultra-performance-friendly heating element and flexible setup.
#5 Alternative: Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Power: 11.8kW
- Tankless: Yes
- Made-in-the-US: Yes
Here is our third alternative if you need a made-in-the-US tankless heater. You should check out this option if you can give up on the advanced features for the sake of savings.
Even then, the product delivers the top-notch performance you would expect for the price. You would not have to worry about the overall durability, either.
- Even though the Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater comes with an old design, you will not have trouble getting started with the product. You can use the tactile buttons on the front to set higher or lower temperatures.
- As we said earlier, the product is one of the most affordable tankless heaters you can get today. It is worth noting that you are still choosing a trusted US-based company with a good network of service centers and warranty options.
- Due to the simple design that we talked about, you can install the Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater without any extra materials. Even if you have minimal experience with plumbing, it is easy to set up the heater.
- On paper, the 11.8kW heating element may seem a little less powerful. However, as long as you use the product in a small household or a commercial space, the heater can catch up. It does an incredible job of dealing with water hardness as well.
- Even though the product has a flow rate of 4GPM, you may see a massive impact on the electricity bill after installing the Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater. It is because the product does not use any modulation techniques.
- You would also note that the tankless water heater is bulkier than the other products we have added from the category. It means you will have to dedicate more space for the setup, which can be a slight problem in low-space environments.
The Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater does not come with any noteworthy extra features.
You should buy the Titan SCR2 N-120 Electric Tankless Water Heater if you want to save a couple of hundred dollars on a tankless water heater. While it does a great job of water heating and hard water management, you will not see many advanced features or a modern design.
How Water Heater for Hard Water FAQ
How long do water heaters last with hard water?
The exact answer depends on many factors, such as the hardness of the water, construction quality of the heater, and consumption patterns.
However, if you buy the water heater from a trusted maker in the market, you can expect the device to last for almost a decade.
Do tankless water heaters work with hard water?
Tankless waters do work with hard water. However, the efficiency of these devices is another matter.
Because the hard water contains many minerals, the heater should have a better performance overall. If it is not the case, you may have some trouble getting the best experience.
What are the signs of a water heater going bad?
The first thing you would notice will be the temperature changes. A bad water heater will not provide you water at the temperature you have set.
Soon after, you would find an increasing amount of chemicals and minerals in the output water.
Do water softeners destroy water heaters?
No, water softeners do not destroy water heaters. Instead, they do an excellent job of increasing the water heater’s life.
It happens because when you have a water softener, the water heater will not have to deal with water hardness.
We hope it will be easy to find the water heater for the hard water you need from the five listed options.
As we mentioned earlier, our selection was based on a few factors like customer reviews, recommendations from experts, and brand value.
You would have a water heater that can catch up with the increasing/decreasing hardness of the water supply without costing you a fortune.