Compared to traditional water heaters, hybrid water heaters are expensive and space-consuming.
However, you can have multiple reasons to shift from your old water heater to a hybrid one. Extra durability, efficient energy consumption, frequent maintenance, and on-demand performance are some of the reasons.
ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank
Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater
Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater
TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater
Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater
Thanks to the increasing demand, hybrid water heaters are available in different budget brackets as well.
So, it does not matter whether you need a hybrid water heater for your large home or crowded office space; there are quite a few products to choose from in the market.
Nevertheless, you have to make this selection with a few factors in your mind. For instance, you need to give equal importance to the brand value, after-sale services, ease of use, and performance.
There is no point in having a hybrid water heater if you cannot operate it well, is there?
In this article, we have listed five of the best hybrid water heater options in the market.
Table of Contents
Best Overall: ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank
- KiloWatts: 4.5
- Tank Capacity: 36 Gallons
- Weight: 174lbs
The ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank is undoubtedly the best overall hybrid water heater in the market. You can get it for your residential or entry-level commercial needs without a doubt.
It comes with a tank of 36 gallons of capacity and uses up to 4.5 Kilowatts of power to provide you hot water without interruption. The company has also added a few innovative features to the package, including Wi-Fi-based control and scheduling.
You can also choose between different variants of the product based on the size of the tank.
- The ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank comes from Rheem, one of the most trusted water heater manufacturers in the market. Therefore, you can stay confident about the performance and reliability of the machine.
- Because the water heater is made for commercial uses, it has built-in options for leak detection and auto shut-off. Even if something goes wrong without your knowledge, you will not have to worry about water loss.
- While the hybrid water heater is considerably bulky, its installation procedure is simple. The package contains every bit you need for a secure fit. Similarly, thanks to the brass drain valve and the stainless-steel construction, you do not need much time to take care of the product.
- As mentioned earlier, the ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank is made for premium-quality performance. So, even if you have a household with four people and two bathrooms, it can provide a seamless hot water supply.
- The makers have thought about energy savings and tracking. You can use the EcoNet Wi-Fi tech to keep track of the water heater performance. You can quickly know about daily, weekly, and monthly usage from a single dashboard.
- Apart from the EcoNet system, the ProTerra 40-Gal Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank comes with different modes. You can use the High Demand Mode for quicker dispersal of hot water and shift to the Vacation Mode when you are away.
- You will have to seek professional help to install the ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank. If you have some plumbing knowledge, you can easily install it in an hour. However, if it is not the case, you should hire a plumber.
- This hybrid water heater will help you save a lot of money in the long run. However, if you are using the water heater for the first time, you would see a sudden hike in the electricity bill. Of course, the numbers would depend on your usage patterns.
The ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank has been designed for long-term energy savings. The product can save up to 75% of energy over time. It also offers an estimated energy cost savings of $460 per year.
If you need an entry-level hybrid water heater, the ProTerra 40 Gal. Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank is an incredible choice. Even though it comes with excellent performance and power, you can optimize the heater for your needs.
The advanced control and automation options also add value. Last but not least, you will love the 10-year warranty and support from the manufacturer.
Runner-up: Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater
- KiloWatts: 1.5
- Tank Capacity: 58 Gallons
- Weight: 264lbs
Are you searching for a premium hybrid water heater with extra storage capacity? In that case, you should check out the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater.
It costs double the price of what you paid for the winner pick but delivers in performance. The manufacturer has taken additional steps to ensure that you can have maximum savings from the device over a decade or less.
It is designed for a family of 2-3 people, but a family of four could also enjoy hot water amenities. It is worth noting that the machine compromises innovative features for the sake of energy savings.
- Like our winner pick, the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater can provide up to $490 savings over a year. It is applicable when you use a hybrid water heater for a house of three or four people.
- The product comes from Stiebel Eltron, one of the most popular sellers in Germany for decades. More importantly, the company offers multiple service/support channels in the United States. So, clearing your doubts would be easier.
- Compared to the previous pick, this water heater comes with a simple LED interface. It is pretty not confusing and is heavily optimized for savings. Therefore, regardless of the modes you select, you can enjoy a consistent hot water supply.
- Thanks to the material in use, the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater may need minor to zero maintenance. The electronic anode, for instance, can survive without any maintenance.
- The product has been designed to work in areas with different weather conditions. Even if you have extreme winters in the region, you will not have to worry about maintenance. The electronics unit can optimize the entire system for stable output.
- Last but not least, the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater comes with an optimized design. For instance, even if you are in Vacation Mode, you do not have to toggle any mode per se. The machine will understand the change in usage consumption and change settings.
- We would have loved to see some smart features in the model, after all. There are times when built-in optimization suites do not work as expected. In those instances, it is nice to have custom control over the settings.
- Despite the bold claims of cost savings, the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater is expensive. It is unclear whether an average American home will be able to afford this hybrid water heater.
The Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater does not come with any extra features. But we think the overall design of the product is aesthetically pleasing. You cannot keep the heater in your living room if required, and it would still blend in.
If you can spend a considerable amount, the Stiebel Eltron 58-Gal Heat Pump Hybrid Electric Water Heater is a worthy upgrade. Unlike our winner pick, this product does not offer any fancy features or smart tech.
On the other hand, the design has been optimized for maximum energy savings over time. If these are your primary priorities, you can pick up the product without a doubt. Last but not least, it looks stunning.
Alternative: Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater
- Kilowatts: 4.5
- Tank Capacity: 45 Gallon
- Weight: 218lbs
The Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater is an excellent alternative if you need savings and smart features. The device uses the same technology as other Rheem products, but there are a few unique options.
We recommend this hybrid water heater if you have a family with more than four members and need an uninterrupted hot water supply.
- The Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater can offer up to $480 per annum when used by a family of 3-5 members.
- Like our winning option, the device uses EcoNet Wi-Fi technology. You can use the smartphone app to keep track of usage and savings patterns.
- In addition to reducing the carbon footprint and environmental impact, the water heater minimizes the need for maintenance. It does an excellent job of getting rid of sediments.
- Once again, installing the Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater would not be a Herculean task. The easily accessible junction box and screw systems make things easier.
- The product does not come with leak detection or automatic shut-off options. You will have to pay separately for these features.
- The model also does not have multiple performance modes. For instance, the lack of Vacation Mode is a big problem indeed.
We could not find any useful additional features in the Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater package.
We recommend the Rheem Performance Platinum 50-Gal Hybrid Water Heater to everyone who needs top-tier performance and smart control.
Even though you miss out on features like leak detection and automatic shut-off, the product remains reliable for the most part.
Alternative: TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater
- Kilowatts: Not Specified
- Tank Capacity: 36 Gallons
- Weight: 135lbs
The TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater is a superb alternative if you think the heaters listed so far are bulky. This product comes with a 36-gallon tank and has a total weight of 135lbs.
By all means, these numbers are impressive. You can use this indirect hybrid electric water heater for homes and entry-level commercial needs.
- Despite the compact design, the TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater has used stainless steel for construction. This selection improves the reliability of the product.
- Unlike our previous recommendations, this product uses a Tank-In-Tank system. It is known for its auto-descaling capabilities in addition to better results.
- Thanks to the unique design, you can get hot water without waiting for too long. The company says the heating section is up to 3x faster.
- Last but not least, the TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater offers a residential limited lifetime warranty.
- Once again, the TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater is too simple. It does not allow room for customization.
- Even though it is compact, the device can have a steep impact on the overall energy consumption in your household.
The TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater does not come with any additional features.
You should check out the TriangleTube 36-Gal Indirect Hybrid Electric Water Heater if you are looking for an ultra-compact hybrid water heater.
Even though it may take a toll on your electricity bill, you will love the super-quick delivery of hot water and descaling options. In the end, the company offers incredible warranty options as well.
Alternative: Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater
- Kilowatts: 4
- Tank Capacity: 66 Gallons
- Weight: 262lbs
We think you can consider the Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater if you need a powerful hybrid water heater for indoor use.
This product does not have any additional features, but you can rely on performance and energy consumption. You will also love the broad temperature range provided by the device.
- The Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater has been designed for maximum quality as well as performance. It suits small families and commercial spaces.
- The device uses up to 4 Kilowatts of energy to heat water. It means you would not have to wait for hot water ever again.
- The stainless-steel construction of the Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater looks so good, making the product an aesthetics-friendly addition.
- The heater also comes with one of the biggest water tanks we have found in this category of hybrid heaters.
- As you can guess, the Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater is quite expensive. It has mostly to do with the build quality.
- We think it does not allow any control. So, those who want to customize their hot water line according to the weather may have a tough time.
The Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater does not have any additional features.
You cannot go wrong if you need a typical hybrid water heater for indoor use while choosing the Electrolux EE66WP35PS Electric Hybrid Water Heater. It packs almost all the features we need and brings a satisfactory experience altogether.
Hybrid Water Heaters FAQs
Is a hybrid water heater worth it?
Yes. One of the bare essentials of everyday life, a water heater in your home warms your mornings nicely. However, it racks up quite a bill white doing its job.
A perfect solution to your ever-increasing electricity bill is to replace (see thermostat) your standard heater with a hybrid water heater. An average household of four can save thousands of dollars in electricity bills in one machine’s lifetime.
A hybrid heater is an electric machine that combines a heat pump system with a storage-tank water heater. Instead of using electrical resistance to generate heat – like a standard water heater – a hybrid water heater draws heat from the ambient air around the water heater using the heat pump. Voila! You have an energy-efficient solution to your water heating woes.
With the graph of modern technology moving gradually towards all-electric homes, a hybrid water heater is the best choice for an up-and-coming trendy home. It has the potential to make gas lines redundant, and a hybrid water heater can be a good start in making your home all-electric.
Moreover, hybrid water heaters utilize your home’s temperature – the ambient air – to generate energy. Living in warm suburban areas will pay off brilliantly if you install a hybrid water heater.
A hybrid water heater is a fundamental one-stop-shop solution to decreasing your electricity bills, and it works very well.
How long does a hybrid water heater last?
A hybrid water heater system will show signs of retirement after approximately ten years of use. After this age, it is more cost-effective to replace the heater than to repair it. This lifespan is roughly the same as that of a traditional water heater.
Tankless water heaters (see also ‘Gas Water Heater Vs. Electric‘) do not hold water in them and last longer than traditional gas heaters and hybrid water heaters.
The quality of water that a hybrid heater handles also decides its lifespan. Hard water contains more dissolved minerals than soft water and can leave a mineral buildup inside the machine.
Hybrid water heaters installed in colder parts of the house can wear out faster than those installed in temperature-controlled areas of the house.
If you set up your hybrid heater in a garage or a far corner of the house, then you might have to work harder to heat your water, especially in the winter months.
Hybrid water heaters not maintained regularly will wear out very fast. It is imperative that you maintain and repair all your household appliances and primarily focus on those appliances that contribute the most to your electricity bill.
It would be best if you repaired, cleaned, and conducted checks frequently of your hybrid water heater system.
Which is better, tankless or hybrid water heater?
If you’re choosing to install a new modern water heating system in your home, then you can choose between a hybrid water heater and a tankless water heating system. You only need to manage your budget and compare their performance, operating costs, installation costs, and energy efficiency.
Once you dial down to the water heaters within your budget, you must first look at their performances. These heaters must deliver and cater to the needs of your household.
They need to heat more water faster. Both these water heater systems are better than a traditional heating system and can handle the needs of an average four-person household with ease.
An on-demand tankless water heater will heat water as required. It could mean that the water heater may not be able to heat water for multiple purposes at once. It can power two things at once with hot water but would suffer in performance if it were three things.
The problem stated above is not one you’ll face with hybrid water heaters. They have a tank, so you need not worry about running out of hot water with everyday use. However, because these heaters use the ambient air to heat the water, it is sometimes not as hot as you would want it to be.
You should know that both these heaters are still far more energy-efficient than standard traditional water heating systems. A tankless heater saves energy by only heating the necessary amount of water. On the contrary, a hybrid water system saves energy using a different, more progressive heating technique.
Low energy usage does not always translate into lower operation costs, though. The type of fuel you use decides the operation costs of the heating system. A hybrid water heater will have a lower operating cost in an all-electric home because it doesn’t generate heat.
However, this again boils down to the usage of each system. You’ll find that both methods do not have significantly different operating costs – roughly $200 per year.
Both these heating systems have similar installation costs because they have their specific demands. A tankless heater needs to have a more extended gas line to run to the unit to serve its purpose even in peak usage times. Conversely, a hybrid water heater system needs a large open area for installation.
Both these water heater systems also cost roughly the same – approximately $1,600. Looking at every comparison we’ve made, you can choose your new water heater based on your needs and the facilities you have at your disposal.
Does a Hybrid water heater work in winter?
Yes, and very well too. A hybrid water heater is often installed in a large open part of the house, like a garage. The heater works on the principle of generating heat using the air around it.
Now, there is a chance that the air around the heater will get cold, especially in winter. However, modern heat pumps that power the water heater do not feel excess strain when tugging thermal energy from low-temperature areas. They are designed to battle these conditions. Heat is always available in the air.
These modern heat pumps can draw heat even in sub-zero temperatures. So your hybrid water heater will have no problem doing its job in the cold temperatures of your garage or basement.
We hope you have understood the variety of options within the hybrid water heater category.
We suggest you make the final pick based on the amount of control and features you need.
For instance, if you do not want customizable options, you can get a standard hybrid water heater optimized for performance and savings. Spending extra on features that you would barely use is not the best idea.