Homeowners are now tired of the traditional, bulky, and unreliable tank water heaters. The ever-escalating popularity of tankless water heaters truly justifies its hype.
You can enjoy hot water on demand at any point of the day without worrying about the water quantity. Similarly, if you want to participate in clean-burning, there is nothing better than propane.
Rinnai V65iP Propane Tankless Water Heater
Rinnai 9.8 GPM Propane Tankless Water Heater
Marey GA10LP Power Propane Tankless Water Heater
GASLAND Outdoors BE158R Tankless Propane Water Heater
Rheem Performance Platinum Tankless Propane Water Heater
Propane water heaters are exceptionally fuel-efficient and would not cost huge electricity bills like your previous system. Additionally, these tankless water heaters are a fantastic solution for space-starved infrastructures.
Investing in a new water heater system can be challenging and stressful, considering all the vast model options available on the market. But to help you purchase the most suitable model, we have prepared this list of the best propane tankless water heaters.
Since each model is ideal for a specific set of requirements, we highly suggest you go through the complete buying guide for a perfect match. The additional FAQs will help solve your other doubts about the propane water heater and its consumption.
Best Overall: Rinnai V65iP Propane Tankless Water Heater
Our winning model is the most trusted tankless water heating system from Rinnai. This V65iP propane tankless water heater is one of the most efficient hot water delivery systems on the market.
Its petite size is perfect for a home with one to three bathrooms. Rinnai solutions have ruled the market for the longest time because of their reliability and heavy-built quality promise.
To understand the product even better, let’s read the specs and features of this indoor propane tankless water heater in detail.
- Manufacturer: Rinnai
- Type: Propane tankless water heater
- Power: 6 GPM
- Size: 14 x 9.27 x 26.9 inches
- This propane-fueled water heater is a perfect choice for people who wish to save energy along with space. The petite and compact design allows the user to install the device without taking much space. The overall size of the water heater makes it a perfect solution for indoors.
- The heater provides optimal water pressure with high performance up to 6.5 GPM for a steady and constant stream of hot water. The pressure ensures excellent water speed for all water-related chores without any waiting period.
- The valves of this system can easily fit most standard pipes. If you are looking for an upgrade that doesn’t require changing the whole piping setup, this product is what you’re looking for.
- The general flow pressure of this Rinnai propane tankless water heater can go up to 150 PSI for users with higher pressure requirements. However, a standard 80 PSI can also provide optimal pressure flow for daily chores.
- The display design of this propane water heater is exceptionally sleek. The frame has no unnecessary details or dial elements that can obstruct the visual appeal.
- Rinnai propane tankless water heater meets the Texas and California NOx emission regulations and standards. The device is highly safe and does not emit any unwanted or harmful chemicals or fumes.
- The propane power provides a reliable, clean, and consistent water flow at a constant pre-set temperature.
- One of the most prominent negatives of this product is the absence of a visual temperature indicator. Apart from that, one can only select two fixed temperatures for the water. The lack of dial control is yet another major drawback of this water heater.
- Many customers have encountered unattentive customer support during their time of need.
- The product comes with a whopping ten years of warranty on heat exchange and five years for electric parts. The company, however, has strict guidelines regarding the installation technician requirements.
- This propane-fueled water heater is fully compatible with their intelligent range of Rinnai Digital Controllers. Users can purchase these controllers to build a fully automatic device with increased efficiency.
This propane water heater is an excellent choice for a medium-sized family who wishes to install a thoroughly efficient and power-saving indoor water heater.
Tankless water heaters work on a simple principle- significant heat loss equals more energy consumption. Therefore we highly recommended insulating the lines to create unmatched heat retention.
Runner up: Rinnai 9.8 GPM Propane Tankless Water Heater
Our runner-up product for the best tankless water heater is the Rinnai 9.8 GPM water heating solution. The device is equipped with super-efficient heating coils that can save your utility costs to a greater extent.
Rinnai tankless water heaters are remarkable in saving energy; these propane models can use up to 40% less energy. The device also has an improved Home Energy Rating System score (Hers) for a greener water heater.
- Manufacturer: Rinnai
- Type: Propane tankless water heater
- Power: 9.8 GPM
- Size:14 x 9 x 23 inches
- This model supports up to 199,000 max BTU while its powerful water flow can reach an impressive 9.8 GPM. These features make this model the best propane tankless water heater for cold climates. The water system is fully equipped to be used in cold or hot temperatures alike.
- The propane water heater comes with a CSA certification for safety surety.
- This propane model is bound to give maximum output while taking up minimum space. The sleek and small body can be easily installed in non-traditional places like attics and crawl spaces.
- The robust power of this machine makes it the best tankless propane water heater for large homes. Users with heavy water consumption needs can entirely rely on this product for pumping fresh hot water in multiple faucets. The speed of the water will never hinder, thus providing a completely reliable water flow for many years.
- Rinnai Propane Tankless Water Heater comes with a temperature lock system that prevents unauthorized or accidental changes to the fixed water temperature. Users can only change the temperature setting by unlocking the system to increase or decrease the temperature.
- The concentric venting system is an excellent feature to create a highly efficient exhaust setup.
- The device also comes with a freeze protection system to keep the water heater safe and optimally warm even during low temperatures.
- This unit can be annoyingly loud, especially if the house is small. If the walls are thin, you can indeed hear the droning sound throughout the house.
- The default limit for the temperature is only 120 degrees. To increase the temperature, you might have to open up the device and make minor changes to the system.
This Rinnai model has a 10-year limited warranty on heat exchangers, a five-year warranty on parts, and one year warranty on labor. The company is quite proactive in helping its customers with warranty issues.
This robust propane water heater can perfectly match people with giant houses and colossal water requirements. Moreover, we recommend pairing this device with a mineral remover or water softener to increase the water heater’s life.
Alternatives: Marey GA10LP Power Propane Tankless Water Heater
Marey solutions have been in the water heating business since the early 1950s. Their unique original blueprints and modern technological solutions create great water heaters that stand the test of time.
Thus our first alternative product is undoubtedly the Marey GA10LP (see also ‘Marey GA10LP In-Depth Review For 2021‘) propane water heater. This remote water heater is excellent for RV installations and other on the go adventurously opportunities. Let’s dive into the specifications to understand the product in detail.
- Manufacturer: Marey
- Type: Battery operated propane water heater
- Power: 3.1 GPM
- Size: 6.9 x 13.6 x 23.6 inches
- The most crucial benefit of this water heater is its adaptability to work via battery. You can save up to 60% on electricity bills within the first few months.
- The battery operation is a great benefit as you do not have to miss out on the luxury of hot water even while traveling or camping out in the woods. Its reliability truly makes it the best propane tankless water heater for RV.
- The compact design feature makes installation a breeze. You can install this propane water heater without any professional help. Owners with a basic knowledge of plumbing can install the device within an hour.
- Marey offers an opportunity to control the water temperature with simple dials and settings. You can very quickly select the correct temperature that suits your needs.
- You can also adjust the water and gas flow according to your requirements. This feature allows you to stretch the propane stock till you get your hands on a new canister.
- Its impressive suction power can provide up to 3.1 gallons of water per minute.
- The product is designed in the USA and guarantees ultimate quality promise to its customers.
- You will only need a 2 D cell battery pack and a venting to install and start the propane water heater.
- The battery box of this water heater is quite flimsy and cheaply made. Even the battery panel design is not optimally accessible.
- The ½” piping can give a poor flow of hot water. This flow will surely be scanty for home installations.
- The most prominent feature of this heater is its battery-powered system. This feature is excellent for people who live in places that experience frequent power outages.
- This propane water heater comes with a five-year warranty in case of a manufacturing defect.
This propane-powered water heater is a great model for people who do not wish to spend a lot on a water heater. Apart from the affordability, you can also use this product while camping out. Lastly, since the unit doesn’t come with a venting hose and cap, do not forget to buy one before installing the heater.
Alternative: GASLAND Outdoors BE158R Tankless Propane Water Heater
Our second alternative is the Gasland BE158R tankless propane water heater. Its powerful machine can heat water within seconds; users do not need to wait 2-3 minutes to enjoy their hot water stream. Let’s study its features to understand the product specifications in detail.
- Manufacturer: Gasland
- Type: Battery-powered propane tankless water heater
- Power: 1.58 GPM
- Size:11.8 x 6.1 x 17.3 inches
- This propane tankless water heater is CSA-approved. The device is entirely safe as per the Canadian and US safety standard.
- The water heater comes with many valuable features like a flame failure device, overheating protection, and anti-freezing protection to ensure extra safety for your family.
- The device is primarily built for tiny spaces. The compact size and lightweight design are easy to carry around without adding much weight to your vehicles.
- The maximum power output of 41,000BTU/Hr will give you endless hot water without any electricity hookup. The entire device is fully battery-powered for uninterrupted outdoor use.
- A minimum low pressure of 2.5 PSI is required to start the device. The water heater then pushes 1.58 GPM of on-demand hot water.
- The main burner and heater exchanger is designed with intelligent combustion technology that consumes lesser gas and creates lower burning noise.
- Users can view the flame through various slits given at the front. These slits can determine the working condition along with the level of fuel remaining in the system.
A few users have noticed that the paint on the body blisters during continuous use of the water heater. Many customers have complained that their control knobs got melted after a long shower.
- The device comes with an easy-to-use mounting bracket for easy on-the-go installation.
- The LED digital screen is yet another extra feature that notifies you of accurate water temperature. This digital screen reduces your chances of getting scalded by boiling water.
This Gasland BE158R Tankless Propane Water Heater is an excellent choice for campers and adventure seekers. The unit is handy for producing hot water within seconds. Its shiny red color adds a nice sporty touch to the product.
Alternative: Rheem Performance Platinum Tankless Propane Water Heater
This Rheem performance platinum tankless water heater is one of the most influential models on the market. This model’s unique water-saving setting can save up to 1,1100 Gal of water per year. The water heater is excellent in providing continuous hot water even in high altitudes.
- Manufacturer: Rheem
- Type: Propane water heater
- Power: 9.5 GPM
- Size: 9.75x 27.5 x 18.5 inches
- Rheem propane tankless water heater is a 9.5 GPM model that can simultaneously supply hot water to 3 bathrooms.
- The additional components necessary for installation come pre-packed with the model. The in-built condensate neutralizer and other features help keep the installation costs to the bare minimum.
- You can pair this water heater with the EcoNet for a seamless smart operating system.
- The device automatically sends out an alert when it needs a regular service check. Similarly, the device’s hard water built-up indicator displays a service alert message when the build-up reaches a certain level.
- This propane water heater can pose as a perfect replacement because of its compatibility with standard gas lines of traditional tanks. Its advanced venting technology also gives you ample flexibility to install in various locations of your choice.
- This heater unit is specifically built for outdoor installation and works efficiently even under colder temperatures.
This water heater is not the easiest to assemble. You will require additional professional help, which can add up the installation expenses.
The company issues a 12-year limited heat exchanger warranty along with a 5-year parts warranty. You can also ask for their 1-year labor warranty if you face any device functionality issues.
This model is specifically built for outdoor installation; however, the company offers an indoor model with the exact specification for people with different requirements.
Propane Tankless Water Heater FAQ
Are propane tankless water heaters worth it?
Yes, propane water heaters are worth it as they work pretty efficiently compared to conventional tank water heaters. According to a study conducted by Energy.gov, propane water heaters are nearly 24%-34% more energy-efficient than the traditional models.
Immediate access to comfortable hot water with a decent range of energy consumption is two of the most prominent positives of tankless water heaters. Homeowners can notice huge savings annually in comparison to tank water heaters.
These water heaters also have a longer life span as they are built with high-quality materials. These tankless propane heaters can easily last twice as long as regular tank heaters. Another specialty of these units is their compact space and lightweight nature.
Users can install the heater at any aperture or tiny storage space of their house. Since they are mostly attached to the walls, you can have more floor space in your boiler room or basement. These propane tank water heaters can be an excellent choice for a small family with modest hot water demands.
The units can quickly spurt hot water for showers, dishwashing, or laundry loads simultaneously. Lastly, these tankless heaters work exceptionally well with the help of battery power, making the unit a perfect travel companion for outdoors or off-grid places.
How big of a propane tank do I need for a tankless water heater?
Propane tankless water heaters need propane as their primary fuel for combustion. Propane usually comes in portable fuel tanks that you can attach directly to your water heater outlet.
Since propane doesn’t come from pipelines, homeowners have to rely upon these tanks for fuel. These units are perfect for recreational vehicles, but homeowners need to purchase a bigger tank for a regular fuel supply.
You can buy these tanks from numerous big box stores or propane dealers. The size of the tank entirely depends on the number of people in the house and their usage specifications.
- A 120-gallon propane tank can be sufficient if your requirements are limited to one or two applications. The tank will give enough energy to use an electric fireplace, washing machine, or a tankless water heater.
- A 250-gallon propane tank is an adequate size for a small home under 1200 sq feet. You can use multiple devices without worrying about fuel consumption.
- Similarly, a 325-gallon propane tank can work perfectly for bigger houses under 2500 sq feet.
How much propane does a tankless water heater use per month?
The use of a tankless water heater depends on the number of appliances in the house, the machines hooked up with the system and the number of people accessing it.
On average, a family of 4 people will need 25 gallons of propane every month. The number of gallons can highly fluctuate depending on the number of people and their usage pattern.
If you are hooking up a propane tank exclusively for a tankless water heater, it will indeed last longer. Thus a tankless propane water heater can use a minimum of 30-40 gallons of propane in a single month.
What is the downside of a tankless water heater?
Contrary to popular belief, tankless water heaters have their fair share of downsides. Since these heaters vent steam almost immediately, you need to use ventilation materials that withstand high temperatures.
These materials are usually pricey and require professionals for the installation. If you buy a tankless water heater with low capacity, it will not send hot water to multiple faucets. These heaters can also cost a lot in comparison to standard tank water heaters.
The installation costs and the purchase price can result in a higher upfront cost. These tankless water heaters can be a misfit for people who require constant water at high speed. Buyers should pay attention to these cons before purchasing a tankless water heater.
We hope our detailed buyer’s guide helped you decide the most practical choice for your water heating needs.
We highly recommend buyers delve into the tankless water heating world for a greener and more energy-efficient solution. Adventurous souls should make it a point to add these water heaters for their outdoor journeys.
Lastly, do not forget to calculate your basic requirements before purchasing a propane tankless water heater!