If something in your home is using water, then it is most likely that it is using a water restrictor.
Therefore, this guide will definitely come in handy at some point.
If you bought any of your appliances in the last few decades then you will 100% find one on your faucet because they are now compulsory to include.
They are not just found in homes they can also be found in different vehicles but what do they actually do?
They are there to help you save water and remove a gas flow.
These are actually quite important parts in your home and you need to make sure they are working to the best standard, otherwise you could have a few problems.
Keep reading here to find out everything you need to know on the topic.
Why Are They So Important?
Reducing your water usage in your homes is one of the most efficient things for you to do for your bills and for the environment.
Even Though you are reducing the water flow, it does not mean that it will affect your ability to wash and use water like you usually would.
People are so used to already having these installed now, that they wouldn’t even notice.
It is so important to use less in modern society and that includes water energy due to water being one of the main elements that uses the most energy to utilise.
It is very helpful that the 30% reduced water flow is something that is not even noticed by most and is definitely cutting down those bills!
Are There Any Negatives?
When it comes to using these around your home, in some situations there is no point using the water savers because you need a thick water flow to fill up a pool etc.
If a tool is constantly being used, then anything can malfunction and with constant pressure, from time to time this will need to be changed, and of course, always cleaned.
Indicators Of Low Water Pressure
If the pressure starts to become really low, your water flow will be affected and it could mean that the restrictor could be obstructed or damaged.
If there is a build-up of minerals, this could also mean corrosion. If parts of it are corroded then there will be a limit of your water flow.
If this happens to you, then you will need to give it a good clean. This should really be maintained to avoid this sort of problem.
It might also be the case where the product is just damaging or broken and you will need to think of replacing it. The question is, how do you do that?
- Flat head screwdriver
- Towels in case there are any problems with leaks
What To Remember
You need to think about closing the valve which leads to the faucet and also plug your sink.
This is the most important part so nothing can accidentally fall down the drain. No, you are ready to start the removal of the water restrictor.
What Are You Removing?
After you have everything in line and you have your equipment set up, you think about what restrictor you are actually replacing.
There are a variety of different brands which all have different shapes, sizes and materials so you need to know you have the right one.
If you have a single restrictor then you are looking for the product, right at the end of the faucet and could be inside of the aerator but is still actually a separate product. Here is how to remove one:
- Don’t forget to put that plug in the sink (very important).
- This is where you can grab your wrench because you are going to need to keep the head of the faucet very tight using the wrench.
- You now need to unscrew the flow restrictor from the faucet by using the wrench to twist left.
- You now need to take a close look at the flow restrictor for any build up which needs to be cleaned or whether it has any damages to it. If it needs a clean you will need hot water to properly remove the build up.
- If you are replacing it, you will take your new flow restrictor and screw it back on the end of the faucet, still with that tight grip. You will need it to be screwed on really tight so there are no leaks that can occur but also not overly tight that you will never be able to unscrew it!
How To Remove An Aerator Flow Restrictor
This type of removal is slightly different but still follows quite simple steps.
- Similar to previously, you need to make sure there is a plug in the sink to make sure nothing drops down.
- Depending on whether it is stuck or blocked you should be able to unscrew the aerator with your hands. If not you can use the wrench.
- Once you have removed the aerator you will then need to turn it over to find the flow restrictor.
- You can either use your fingers or a screwdriver to remove the restrictor but you always need to be careful not to damage any of the products. When you pop it back in you will know if replacing or cleaning has done the job because the pressure of the water should be stronger.
Overall, this is a really easy job for anyone to do but the main thing to take from this is that when it comes to flow restrictors, a low pressure will usually be caused by either a break or damage or that is hasn’t been cleaned recently and there is a build up that needs to be removed and cleaned.
You also need to be really careful during this process that everything has been screwed tight so there are no leaks because that can be a real pain to stop and can cause damage to other products surrounding it. It is also a real pain to clean up!
Hopefully this guide will help you fix this problem yourself, even if you’re not someone who usually fixes things around the house, it is quick and easy and it is a task that most people will be able to do themselves.
Don’t pay for anyone else to do something that you can do yourself!