If you have a swimming pool then you will know how important it is to have a good pool pump. The pool pump keeps the water moving so it does not become stagnant.
It also ensures that the cleaning chemicals are dispersed equally throughout the pool, keeping the water clean and sanitary.
If you are looking for a new pool pump (see also ‘How To Prime A Pool Pump‘) then you might find yourself overwhelmed by the choice of products available on the market.
It can be challenging to narrow down your search to just one product.
We have made things easier for you by putting together this list of the best pool pumps. Keep reading to find out more.
Table of Contents
Here are the pool pumps that are currently the best on the market. We have selected these products based on their performance, their value for money, and customer reviews.
All of these products come highly recommended by pool owners.
This is a multi-purpose pump that can be used for swimming pools but can also be used for pumping unwanted water out of spaces like basements and flat roofs.
It plugs into an electrical outlet and it has an adapter that fits your garden hose. It has a very simple design and is easy to use.
The suction power of this pool pump is very impressive as it can manage 220 gallons of water per hour.
It also has an 8-foot-long power cord which is very convenient. The pump is designed to be used above ground, but it is also submersible in water.
- Multi-purpose – Can be used for other types of water pumping as well as a pool pump.
- Compatible with outlet – It plugs directly into an electrical outlet rather than needing to be wired into the electrics.
- Easy to use – this water pump is really simple to use and it has a convenient 8-foot long cord
- Hose adapter – It comes with an adapter so you can attach the pump to your garden hose.
- Power- This is a very powerful pump with a suction rate of 220 gallons per hour
- Durability- some customers found that after the first 6 months or more the motor lost a bit of power and there were some issues with leaking.
This pool pump is designed to float in the pool and clean the water. It plugs into an electrical outlet so it is very easy to install.
It is made from very durable polypropylene plastic and is durable but lightweight at just over 10 pounds.
There are three options for the diameter of the outlet which means you can use it with a garden hose or an alternative type of hose depending on what suits you best.
It is a powerful pump with a suction rate of 213 gallons per hour. You can use this pump for multiple functions, not just for swimming pools.
- Floating – This pool pump floats in the pool so installation is easy
- Electrical outlet – it plugs directly into an electrical outlet and doesn’t need to be hardwired
- Durable – the polypropylene is very durable so it will last a long time
- Lightweight – weighs just over 10 pounds so it is easy to move around
- Outlet diameter – there are three different options for outlet diameter size which is very versatile
- Powerful- it has a suction rate of 213 gallons per hour.
- Multi-purpose – You can use it for things other than swimming pools
- Capacity- This is only suitable for small swimming pools
This is a powerful 1850 Watt above ground swimming pool pump. It has an aluminum construction with black detailing that is sleek but also very durable.
It has a flow rate of 560 liters per minute and is suitable for swimming pools up to 100,000 liters in volume. The filter is very efficient and will remove even very fine debris from the water.
One of the great things about this pump is that it has thermal and pressure protection, preventing faults and damage.
This means that the pump will last longer than other products. It is also nice and quiet, operating at less than 65 decibels.
- Powerful – It has a flow rate of 560 liters per minute
- Capacity – This pump is suitable for pools up to 100,000 liters in volume
- Durable – The aluminum design is built to last
- Filter – This pump has a very efficient filter which will leave your water very clean.
- Protection – The pump has thermal and pressure protection.
- Noise – It operates quietly so it won’t disturb your peaceful pool time.
- Damage – The only downside to this product is that sometimes the hose is damaged in transit. However, the company is very willing to provide a replacement hose.
This above-ground pump is suitable for swimming pools, spas (see also our article on sauna heaters), and hot tubs. The filter basket is very large which means it does not need to be emptied as often as some other products.
This is a fairly powerful pump at 1500 watts and it has a flow rate of 410 liters per minute. The motor is protected by a strong body that will not damage easily.
The power cord is 3 feet long and the pump plugs directly into an electrical outlet so you do not need to worry about having it wired in.
It is a very quiet pump, operating at 60 decibels.
- Filter- The filter basket is large and doesn’t need emptying often.
- Power – The 1500 watt motor is powerful enough for most home swimming pools
- Flow rate – The pump has a flow rate of 410 liters per minute.
- Durable – The body of the pump is very strong which protects the motor
- Electrical outlet – This pump plugs directly into an electrical outlet for convenience
- Power cord – The power cord is only 3 feet long which might limit where you can place the pump.
- Installation – whilst this is an above-ground pump, some customers found it tricky to install.
This is a moderately priced above-ground pool pump that comes in several different sizes. It has a flow rate of 1500 gallons per hour and plugs directly into an electrical outlet.
Most customers found it very easy to install as the assembly is very straightforward.
This is a simple but effective product that is best for smaller pools. The filtration is not as advanced as some other products, but it is a good option if you have a smaller budget.
- Affordable – this is a very reasonably priced pool pump
- Sizes – there are several sizes available which means you can pick the one that is best for your pool
- Flow rate – This pump has a flow rate of 1500 gallons per hour.
- Electrical outlet- You can plug this pump directly into an electrical outlet.
- Installation – This is an above-ground pump that is very easy and simple to assemble and install
- Capacity- This pump is best suited to smaller swimming pools
- Filter – The filtration is not as good as some other products
This above-ground swimming pool pump is designed to be fast and efficient. It is made from a combination of aluminum and plastic, and it is very sturdy.
It weighs around 24 pounds. You can plug this pump directly into an electrical outlet which is very convenient.
There are multiple speed settings on this pump which means you can opt for maximum power, or you can slow it down to save energy depending on your individual needs.
The strainer basket has a clear lid so you can easily see when it needs to be emptied. It can trap large items of debris like leaves.
This pump has airflow ventilation and thermal overload protection which will keep it running smoothly for a long time.
The motor is very powerful and this pump has a flow rate of 4980 gallons per hour, which is suitable for even very large swimming pools.
- Sturdy – This weighty pump is very durable and strong
- Electrical outlet- You can plug this pump directly into an electrical outlet rather than wiring it in.
- Settings- There are multiple speed settings for you to choose from
- Flow rate – This pump has a flow rate of 4980 gallons per hour
- Capacity – This pump is ideal for even very large swimming pools s
- Basket strainer – the basket strainer has a clear lid so you can tell when it needs emptying
- Protection – The pump has airflow ventilation and thermal overload protection
- Power cord – The power cord does not come included with the pump. If you do not purchase one separately then you will need to hardwire the pump into your electrical system.
This is the most expensive pump on the list. This is because Hayward is a well-established and respected brand when it comes to pool pumps (See Hayward pool heater ignition failure).
A lot of pool owners recommend Hayward due to the quality of their products and the reliability of their service.
You don’t need to worry about this motor getting damaged or general wear and tear, as it is protected by a durable housing that is corrosion-resistant and waterproof.
The motor itself is very powerful and efficient, whilst operating very quietly. The debris basket is extra large which means it can hold big items like leaves and it also doesn’t need emptying very often.
- Brand- Hayward is a respected brand
- Power- The motor is very powerful
- Durable – The the design is very sturdy to protect the motor
- Noise- This pump operates very quietly
- Price- This is the most expensive pump on the list.
Now that you know which pool pumps are the best, it is time for you to decide which product you are going to buy.
If you are struggling to narrow it down then keep reading for our advice on how to pick a pool pump.
The first thing you need to establish is what flow rate you need. You need to know the volume of your swimming pool to calculate this, or you can use an online flow rate calculator.
Once you have determined the flow rate that you will need for your pool then you can focus your search on products that meet these requirements.
The next thing you need to look at is your budget. Once you know the flow rate you need you can see how the prices of these pool pumps vary and decide how much you are willing to spend.
Remember that there is a balance between upfront cost and longevity – you might be better off buying a more expensive pump because it will last longer.
Once you have decided on your budget you can start comparing individual features of the pool pumps.
The installation is something you need to think about when you are getting a pool pump. Some pumps are really easy to install as they just plug into an electrical outlet.
Others need to be hard-wired into the electrical system which requires an electrician and a professional pool pump installer. You need to decide which type of installation you would prefer and which type you can afford.
Inground Or Above Ground
Another decision you need to make is whether you get a pool pump (see also ‘Can An Extension Cord Be Hooked Up To A Pool Pump That’s Above Ground?‘) that sits above the ground or one that is installed beneath the ground.
Inground pool pumps are easier to install when the swimming pool is being built, otherwise, there will be some disruption while the ground around the pool is dug up.
However, once an inground pump has been installed it is out of the way and won’t take up space on the side of the pool or be an unsightly addition to your space.
The benefit of an above-ground pool pump is that it is easily accessible for maintenance or repairs.
Pool pumps vary in terms of what settings are available and how fast they can pump the water.
The bigger your budget the more options you will have in terms of settings and speed, but there is no point paying extra for settings that you won’t use.
The more powerful the motor is, the more efficient the pump will be in terms of flow rate. However, there is a trade-off.
The more powerful pumps tend to be less energy efficient, which means it will cost you more to run your pool pump.
There is also no point paying for a really powerful pump if you don’t need one, as you will just be wasting money.
If you are still struggling to choose a pool pump then you should ask anyone else you know who has a pool for their advice.
They might be able to share their experiences with certain brands and models and give you some information that will help to sway your decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Need A Swimming Pool Pump?
Yes- if you have a swimming pool then you need a swimming pool pump. Without it, the water will become stagnant and unsanitary.
It is also much harder to keep the pool clean without a pump, and you will have to remove dirt and debris with a large net which is quite tricky.
Swimming pool pumps also help to warm up the water by using heat from the air to circulate the pool. This makes the pool much more comfortable to swim in.
What Are The Main Parts Of A Swimming Pool Pump?
Swimming pool pumps are made up of five main parts. The water enters the pump through the water inlet and exits through the water outlet.
The filter removes debris and impurities from the water before it goes back into the pool.
The motor is used to power the pump and is the driving force behind the impeller – the spinning part that propels the water.
How Do Swimming Pool Pumps Work?
The water is sucked from the pool through the water inlet where it passes through a filter. The clean water is then propelled back out into the pool through the water outlet.
Some pool pumps have a heater that the clean water is passed through to make it warmer before it reaches the pool.
What Size Swimming Pool Pump Do You Need?
You need to make sure that you get a pool pump that has the right flow rate for the size of your pool. To calculate this you need to know the volume of water in your pool in liters.
Multiply the volume by two, then divide this number by 1440. Whatever figure you are left with, you need to make sure that the maximum flow rate in liters per minute of the pump is a higher number.
How Do You Calculate The Volume Of Your Pool?
If you do not know the volume of your pool then you need to take the dimensions of the pool.
If you multiply the length of the pool by the width of the pool by the depth of the pool in meters, the figure you end up with will be the volume of the pool in liters.
A swimming pool pump is a must-have item if you have a swimming pool in your home or on your land.
The pump will help to keep the water flowing so it does not become stagnant and it will also clean it and remove bacteria and impurities.
If you want your swimming pool to be sanitary and sparkling then you will need a pool pump.
There are lots of different pool pumps on the market. When it comes to choosing a pool pump you need to make sure that the flow rate is suitable for the size of your pool.
You also need to decide on how you want the pool pump installed and what sort of speed and power settings you are going to need. Once you have considered all of this then you should be ready to choose a product.
This list includes our most recommended pool pumps based on quality, customer satisfaction, and value money. You should be able to find your ideal pool pump by choosing between the products on this list.